1- What is the URL?
URL is a specialized term, commonly used on the internet community. The URL is an abbreviation of the English phrase: "Uniform Resource Locator", which means Vietnamese as "internet resource reference". The URL has the ability to easily create hyperlinks for websites.
You can understand more simply, what is a URL? As a means for users to use, access to resources on the computer network. Every resource on the computer when accessing daily search is assigned an address, also known as a fixed link. Just enter the address (link) and search, you can reach the website address you search.
For example: Mona Media's website address is: https://skypir.com/
2- What is the structure of a URL?
The URL structure was determined in early 1994 by the great British computer scientist, Sir Tim Berners-Lee, who created the world's first web browser. Basically, the url is similar to the path C: \ Documents \ Personal \ myfile.txt in windows, but added some things to be able to find the correct server address on the internet and use the correct protocol to access it. information.
Image By Google: cultofweb.com
A URL with complete components will consist of 4 elements including:
- Protocol: http, https, ftp, ...
- World Wide Web: www
- Domain (domain name): Example - skypir.com
- Communication port: 80, 8090, 443, 2081, 7777, ...
To better understand what the URL components are, here we go together to analyze in detail the URL structure.
A simple URL will have two main parts: the connection protocol (Scheme) and the provider (Authority).
2.1- What is the Scheme in the URL?
Many people think that a URL is a web address. However, it is not so simple. A web address is a URL. But the URL is not just the website address. In addition to web addresses, other services you can also access on the internet such as FPT or MAILTO are URLs.
In it, the Scheme part of the URL (the text before the colon) denotes the protocol that the application and the server communicate.
There are three main types of Scheme protocol:
- Hypertext transfer protocol (HTTP): A basic form of a web protocol that determines the actions of web servers and browsers to perform, in response to certain commands.
Secure Protocol (HTTPS): A form of HTTP that operates with a layer of security, encryption, ensuring information is transmitted more securely.
- File Transfer Protocol: The protocol used to transfer files over the internet.
With modern browsers such as these days, you may not need to use Scheme to access certain addresses, because the browser can automatically determine the appropriate protocol. However, in some cases, it is required to enter the protocol completely.
2.2- What is authority in the URL?
Authority is the section that begins after the two forward slashes of the protocol. A simple Authority consists of the World Wide Web (www) and domain name.
For example: "www.facebook.com"
As in the above example, this set of assemblies, called hostnames, is responsible for obtaining an IP address. If you already know the browser address, you can enter it in the browser address bar instead of the hostname.
URL Authority Analysis:
Domain (top-level domain) : As in the above example, the top-level domain is "com". This is the highest level in the domain hierarchy, used to translate IP addresses into simpler, easier-to-remember language addresses. These top-level domains are managed by the Internet Corporation for Assigned Numbers and Domains (ICANN).
In the world today there are 3 types of popular top-level domain names such as .com, .net, .gov. Countries also have top-level domain names with 2 characteristic digits. For example: Vietnam is .vn, America is .us, Canada is .ca, ... Besides, there are some additional top-level domain names such as .museum, .club, life, .news, ...
Subdomain (Subdomain) : As in the above example, both the "www" and "facebook" are subdomains. In particular, "www" is the subdomain of both the subdomain "facebook" and the top-level domain ".com". Instead of using "www", many units and organizations can be replaced with news.subdomain.domain, or mail, life, ...
Besides, URL Authority can be more complicated and have some other components such as:
- User Information: Contains username and password. For example: // username: [email protected] , where "username: password" is the user information, associated with the server name with "@".
- Port number: The device uses the IP address to receive information to the appropriate servers on the network. For example: "//www.example.com:8080", where "8080" is the IP address, associated with hostname with ":" sign.
3- What is the URL? How important is URL to SEO?
URL is an extremely important factor in SEO, it can affect the SEO marketing strategy of the business. Why is that?
You simply try by typing any keyword on Google search engine. You will have thousands of results returned, which are links for you to access and look up information. In particular, the first results are displayed for websites SEO standards have been optimized, meeting Google's quality evaluation standards.
You can also see this clearly when using SEO support tools or professional SEO check for websites. In the Slug section, showing links on search engines, it represents the content of your website.
Image By Google: mysteryshopperservices.com
What is the role of the URL in SEO
URL plays a relatively important role, in order for your website to be displayed on search engines and help users find you quickly, your URL must meet the criteria of that search engine, especially for with Google.
As a major and powerful search engine today, Google has the following specific standards for using URLs:
- The URL cannot be too long.
The search algorithm and long keywords have been changed by Google. Specifically:
- The average URL length for Gmail will be only 59 characters
- The average URL length for blogs is 76 characters
- The average URL length for Webmaster Tools is 90 characters
- The URL should not have accents and special characters. You should write the word without accents and separated by "-".
- The URL contains the SEO keyword. Especially for SEO tools, this is always a factor to be reminded.
- Restricted URL leads to subfolders. Are the character elements after the "/" sign. Google will not appreciate your link.
4- Why should optimize URLs when doing SEO?
With the website, it is always advised to optimize the URL when doing SEO. Because they will bring you many benefits such as:
- Help you increase website rankings quickly
- Help increase the ability to click link posts from customers
- Make remembering easier, easier for the user to come back later
From the above article, we can see that the URL is an extremely important factor, especially in SEO, online marketing strategy. Therefore, understanding the URL as well as how to use them is essential for you, SEOs.
Hopefully, with the above analysis and sharing of Mona Media about what URL is, the structure and role of URL in SEO will help you have a more specific view of the URL.